- South West
- South East
- East Anglia
- Heart of England
- North Country
Country house hotels in Northumberland
Luxury short and weekend breaks
We've hand-picked the finest country house hotels in Northumberland - to view please click on LIST HOTELS. All our country house hotels in Northumberland can be booked online at great rates.
Country house hotel special offers
Look out for our special offers for short or weekend breaks - click on the "View hotel details" link for each hotel shown for details and to check availability.
Views of Holy Island
The three star Waren House Hotel, Belford, is a country house hotel with a very special location. The extensive gardens border Budle Bay and offer views of Holy Island. This hotel is a relaxing and rejuvenating retreat made for a short break exploring the dramatic castles, lovely beaches and countryside with room to breathe.
If you golf or if you don't
Matfen Hall is a stately country house hotel, surrounded by lovely Northumberland landscape close to both Hadrians Wall and Newcastle. The elegant bedrooms, excellent restaurant, spa and large swimming pool will keep non-golfers pampered and relaxed whilst the golf course, rated as one of the best in Northumberland, provides an enjoyable test of skills.
A luxurious Jacobean Manor
In the best traditions of a country house hotel the four star Paramount Redworth Hall Hotel near Durham, blends traditional style with modern facilities. The Jacobean manor house dates back to 1744 and the drawing rooms and bedrooms are luxuriously furnished and decorated. The leisure facilities are award-winning and include beauty treatment rooms and a gym. Beamish and the beautiful cathedral city of Durham are nearby.
Romantic castle hotel
Feeling insecure? Then take a short break at the Walworth Castle Hotel which that bills itself as less of a country house hotel and more of a country stronghold. A sense of history permeates with parts of the building dating back to the 1100's. Some of the bedrooms feature four-poster beds and tower suites are available.
What's it famous for?
• Hadrian's Wall
• Dramatic castles like the Viking Bamburgh and Dunstanburgh.
• Alnwick Castle known to millions as Hogwarts School in the Harry Potter films.
• Holy Island, with its rocky outcrop crowned by Lindisfarne Castle.
• The city of Durham with the finest Norman Cathedral in the world
• The medieval streets of Alnwick, once the County Town of Northumberland.
• Barnard Castle, fashioned on a French chateau that contains the wonderful Josephine and John Bowes Museum of great art.
What's it like?
• Rich in history, mystery and romance
• Moorland, mountains and coast - a rugged yet peaceful landscape.
• Some fine sandy beaches in the eastern Northumberland.
• Cragside - for one of the best shows of rhododendrons in the UK.
• Created within a quarry, the gardens of Georgian Belsay Hall are temperate.
• The enchanted Shakespeare Garden at Crook Hall in Durham.